SNAP-Back 2022

Changes to your FoodShare are coming soon.

Stay in the know as we prepare to SNAP-Back or “Unwind”.

Below you will find a guide to “Unwinding,” or the ending of many of the pandemic-related support programs. This space refers specifically to how the FoodShare program in Wisconsin will be affected by this big change. 

Since February of 2020, every household on FoodShare has received two monthly payments. The first monthly payment is the household’s “Regular FoodShare Amount” and the second monthly payment is the “Emergency Allotment.” Soon, the Emergency Allotment payment is going to end. For many Wisconsinites, especially Seniors, this loss in benefits is going to be significant. We have included some FAQs and resources to help our clients best prepare for this drop in benefits.

Recieve assistance from Hunger Task Force.

All Hunger Task Force services are free. Connect 1-on-1 with our staff to determine your eligibility for benefits in about 15 minutes. Our team of FoodShare Advocates serve tens of thousands of people every year, both in-person and over the phone. Hours: Monday – Friday | 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

  • Alicia’s Place FoodShare Resource Center
    • 4144 N. 56th Street, Midtown Center | 414.988.6501
  • Robles Self-Service Center
    • 723 W. Historic Mitchell Street | 414.238.6484

Emergency Allotments

When can I expect the Emergency Allotment payment to end? 

Emergency Allotments will continue as long as there are BOTH State AND Federal public health emergencies in place. While the Federal PHE has been re-authorized every 90 days since February of 2020, that cycle is likely to end soon. The Federal government has stated its intention to inform advocates and organizations like Hunger Task Force 60 days prior to its decision to end the Federal Public Health Emergency.


What’s a deduction?

With Emergency Allotments ending in 2022, one of the best ways to increase a FoodShare benefit amount is to maximize deductions. Deductions reduce your net income by taking into consideration monthly expenses. Starting to account for deductions could make a huge difference for individuals receiving FoodShare benefits when Emergency Allotments end sometime this year.

Can you give me an example?

Seniors, 60 and over, who receive FoodShare can deduct certain medical expenses – including costs not covered by insurance like medical care, equipment, or prescriptions. The medical deduction for Seniors is generally underutilized but starting to account for this deduction could make a huge difference for clients when Emergency Allotments end.

Other deductions are available to FoodShare clients, regardless of age. Individuals can deduct the cost of monthly utilities – gas and electric– if they pay separate from their rent. Someone may also deduct monthly shelter costs.

Rollover Benefits

What happens if I don’t use all my benefits each month? Do I lose them?

Leftover FoodShare benefits rollover, staying on your card for the next month. This happens automatically without FoodShare users having to do anything. Benefits last up to one-year from the date they were issued, allowing users to better plan out their budgets!

What else should I know?

You have rights. If you receive a decision about your case from the State that you do not agree with, you have the right to file for a fair hearing. Hunger Task Force and Legal Action of Wisconsin can help you get started.

The Six-Month Report Form & Annual Renewals

What is the Six-Month Report Form?

Every six months, FoodShare users must submit a report form to help identify changes to income, household size and current address. During the pandemic, these reviews were not required. Now, that review waiver has ended –  meaning they are required again. Seniors, 60 or over, only have to complete an Annual Renewal, not Six-Month Report Form.

Will I have to do an Annual Renewal?

All FoodShare users, regarless of age must complete the Annual Renewal. The materials needed for your Six-month Report Form and Annual Renewal are very similar. You will need to provide paystubs, proof of address and proof of expenses. Annual Renewals have an interview component, but this interview can be conducted over the phone. The length of that interview will depend on the size of your household and the kinds of documents that need to be reviewed and discussed.

In Milwaukee, you can call Milwaukee Enrollment Services at 888-947-6583 to complete your renewal over the phone.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider. This project has been funded at least in part with Federal funds from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The contents do not necessarily reflect the view or policies of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, nor does mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.