Hunger Task Force launches “Badger Box” featuring Wisconsin-made foods
Hunger Task Force has been chosen by the State of Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection to administer $15 million in federal grant funds to build a stronger, hunger-free Wisconsin. These funds—made available through the American Rescue Plan Act—will be used to build capacity at emergency food programs, feed local families and sustain local food systems.
In true Wisconsin fashion, we’re building a food box called the Badger Box. Filled exclusively with dairy products, cheeses, meats, fruits and grains purchased from Wisconsin farmers and food producers, over 18,000 Badger Boxes will be distributed monthly through December through the Hunger Relief Federation. The Hunger Relief Federation has members representing all 72 Wisconsin counties and 10 Tribal Nations, so we’ve got the state covered!
Badger Boxes currently include (Item | Producer | Location):
- Onions & Potatoes | Russet Potato Exchange | Bancroft, WI
- Midwest Medley Salad | Superior Fresh | Hixon, WI
- Butter & Cottage Cheese | Westby Creamery | Westby, WI
- Cheddar Cheese | Brunkow Cheese | Cottage Grove, WI
- Baby Swiss | Chalet Cheese | Sun Prairie, WI
- 2% Milk (gallon) | Sassy Cow Creamery | Sun Prairie, WI
- Dry Roasted Wild Rice | Rice River Farms | Spooner, WI
- Dried Cherries | Cherryland’s Best | Appleton, WI
- Bacon & Summer Sausage | Nueskes | Wittenberg, WI
- Eggs (dozen) | S&R Egg Farm | Whitewater, WI
- Ground Beef | WI Meadows | Cashton, WI
The Badger Box program will ensure that families living in remote regions, rural areas and Tribal Nations will have access to healthy, culturally appropriate foods, all while supporting Wisconsin agriculture during tough times. It’s a win-win for the Badger State!