Replacement FoodShare Benefits

Nov 7, 2022

Current FoodShare members who lose food purchased with FoodShare benefits due to a flood, a fire, or other household misfortune, can request the replacement benefits from the State. Per the FoodShare handbook, a loss of power for four (4) hours or more can qualify as a household misfortune.

Members should fill out the Request for Replacement FoodShare Benefits form and submit it to their local agency online, by fax, by mail or in-person. The form must be submitted no more than ten (10) days after the incident. Households will be asked to describe how food was destroyed and will be requested to provide documented proof. In the case of a power outage, members must include a letter from their utility company confirming that there was a power outage, as well as the duration of that outage. This letter should be submitted with the Request for Replacement FoodShare Benefits form.

If eligible, replacement benefits should be received no later than ten (10) days after the report of loss or within two working days of the state receiving the signed form and verification, whichever date is later. Households have the right to a Fair Hearing if their request is denied [Fair Hearing Form].


If you have questions about applying for replacement FoodShare benefits, or about the status of your request, contact your local income maintenance agency.