Replacement for FoodShare Benefits

Jan 15, 2024

Current FoodShare members who lose food purchased with FoodShare benefits due to a flood, a fire, or other household misfortune, can request the replacement benefits from the State. Per the FoodShare handbook, a loss of power for four (4) hours or more can qualify as a household misfortune.

Reporting loss of food that was purchased with FoodShare is time sensitive. The form must be submitted no more than ten (10) days after the incident. Households will be asked to describe how food was destroyed and will be requested to provide documented proof. In the case of a power outage, members must include a letter from their utility company confirming that there was a power outage, as well as the duration of that outage. This letter should be submitted with the Request for Replacement FoodShare Benefits form.

You are encouraged to reach out to WE Energies (or your power company) FIRST to request a letter stating the times/dates of the power outage. This will be included as helpful documentation with your request to show household misfortune. Members should fill out the Request for Replacement FoodShare Benefits form and submit it to their local agency online, by fax, by mail or in-person.

If eligible, replacement benefits should be received no later than ten (10) days after the report of loss or within two working days of the state receiving the signed form and verification, whichever date is later. Households have the right to a Fair Hearing if their request is denied [Fair Hearing Form].

To be eligible, FoodShare recipients must have experienced either of the following:

  • Food damaged by the disaster or spoiled due to lack of refrigeration for at least 4 hours
  • Damage to or destruction of home or workplace


If you have questions about applying for replacement FoodShare benefits, or about the status of your request, contact your local income maintenance agency.

Hunger Task Force can help you. Connect one-on-one with our FoodShare Advocates, both in-person and over the phone. Contact Hunger Task Force at one of our three FoodShare Resource Centers in Milwaukee.

Alicia’s Place FoodShare Resource Center

4144 N. 56th Street, Midtown Center


Marcia P. Coggs Human Services Center

1220 W. Vliet Street, First Floor


Robles FoodShare Resource Center

723 W. Historic Mitchell Street