Butternut Squash Grain Bowl
- 1 cup butternut squash cubes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup pecans or other nuts
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 2 cups baby spinach or spring mix
- 1 small apple
- ¼ cup dried cranberries or the dried fruit
- Heat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Toss butternut squash with oil, syrup, cinnamon, pepper, and salt. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place pecans on a piece of foil or small baking sheet and toast at 400F for 5 to 10 minutes or until fragrant, watching carefully.
- Assemble bowls. Divide rice between two bowls. Add greens, squash, apples, cranberries and toasted pecans.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
- Bowls can be made with almost any grain, not just rice. Try using any grains that you like or have on hand (oats, wild rice and quinoa are all good options!). You can also switch out the fruit, roasted vegetables, or nuts for what you have available. Just be sure you choose unsalted nuts to keep the sodium content low.
- Add cooked beans, eggs, chicken or other lean meat for more protein.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, or your favorite vinaigrette for even more flavor.