Chilean Vegetable Stew
This colorful stew packed with nutrients will not only appeal to your eyes, but also your budget and taste buds!
- cutting board
- measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- large wok or saucepan
- wooden spoon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion medium chopped
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 12 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water can sub in vegetable broth
- 3 purple or red potatoes peeled and medium chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup collard greens center rib removed, medium chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms medium chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 6 fresh basil leaves (or 1/2 tspn dried basil) roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated or shaved
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in large wok or saucepan. Add red onion and pre-cubed butternut squash and sauté about 4 minutes.
- Add can of diced tomatoes, water (or vegetable broth), purple potatoes and garlic.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add collard greens, mushrooms and spinach. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil.
- Top stew with parmesan cheese.
Recipe adapted from www.eatfresh.org.