- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup yogurt plain, non-fat
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Drain and mash garbanzo beans in blender, food processor or with fork. Add remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth. Chill one hour or overnight. Serve on crackers or tortilla chips. Promptly refrigerate leftovers.
Serve hummus with fresh raw vegetables, on a piece of pita bread or flour tortilla, on any cracker, or as a sandwich filling on toasted bread. Hummus can be added to a salad or even used in place of mayonnaise as a healthy option for sandwiches. Once you have the basic recipe down, experiment with different seasonings like curry or cumin