Lentil and Bean Salad
This fresh and flexible recipe can be made using dried lentils and nearly any kind of beans; black beans, red kidney beans, garbanzo beans… try using whatever you have on hand. This salad is a great go-to for those summer potlucks and picnics!
- 1½ cups cooked dried lentils (1 cup cooked)
- 1½ cups black, red kidney or other beans (1-15oz can or 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 6 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes finely diced
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. lime juice about one lime
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar optional
- To cook lentils: Combine dried lentils and 2½ cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10-20 minutes or until tender (but not mushy).Drain.
- To make dressing: In a medium bowl, combine the dressing ingredients, whisk to combine well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the lentils, beans (rinsed and drained), corn, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes and cilantro. Stir the dressing, pour over the top and toss or stir gently to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh diced avocado, if desired.