- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 lbs. lean ground meant
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 large stalks celery sliced thin
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into disks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp favorite ground spice
- 1 lbs. brown or green dried lentils rinsed
- 1 tsp your favorite dried herb
- 2 potatoes cut into large chunks
- splash vinegar any type on hand
- 6 cups water
- Heat large pot over medium heat and add the oil. When hot, add the meat if using and brown for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic and spice and cook, stirring occasionally until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 6 cups water and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the lentils and herb and bring to a simmer. Add the potatoes and simmer until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Add a splash of vinegar to taste and serve.
- If desired, add a fried egg on top before serving.