One Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chickpea Rice Casserole
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup quick cooking brown rice (can substitute other rice types but may need to adjust cook time)
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 2½ cups broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute 5minutes until softened. Add the garlic and saute 30 seconds more.
- Add the rice to the pan and toast for 1-2 minutes. Add the milk, broth and salt and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the rice has about 5-8 minutes left of cooking time.
- Remove the lid and stir in the broccoli and chickpeas. Cover and continue to cook for about 5 minutes more.
- When the rice is done, remove from heat and stir in half of the cheese and add more salt if necessary. Top the casserole with the remaining cheese and let stand until melted. Serve and enjoy!