Split Pea Soup (from food.com)
Did you know? Dried split peas are good source of plant-based protein, low in fat and an excellent source of fiber. Fiber is important to help usmaintain digestive health, and helps to regulate your cholesterol for hearthealth, too! Click here for a quick and easy soup recipe to warm you up!
- 2 medium White Onions Cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3-4 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 cups split peas about 1 pound – green or yello
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp hot sauce
- 6 cups fat free chicken (or vegetable) broth
- Add the onion to a large non stick saucepan over medium low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the onion is wilted and translucent.
- Add the garlic, stir and continue to cook for one minute.
- Stir in the split peas, seasonings, hot sauce and broth. Raise the heat to medium and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about an hour until the soup is thick. Remove the cover and stir well before serving.