Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 granny smith apples cored and cubed
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- 5 tablespoons applesauce
- 3 acorn aquash
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 package chicken sausage (5-6 links) cut into bite size pieces
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Cut the acorn squash in half and use a spoon to remove the seeds; discard seeds. Fill the bottom of a baking dish with one inch of water. Place squash halves face down into the pan so that the orange flesh comes in contact with the water. Bake squash for 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet according to package directions, then transfer and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add onions and apples; cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add applesauce and cook for 5 minutes until apples are slightly brown and soft.
- Add sausage and rice to the mixture. Sir in Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff each half of the squash with the rice and sausage mixture. Serve while hot.