Zesty Tuna Pasta
Italian cuisine is based on the Mediterranean diet, which is rich in pasta, fish, fruits, and vegetables. Italian cooking often uses garlic, olive oil, fresh tomatoes, basil, oregano, and cheese. This Italian inspired recipe can be easily made with ingredients commonly found in your pantry and is a great source of iron and vitamin D.
- 4 ounces spaghetti whole wheat
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 5 ounce can tuna drained
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook your pasta according to the package directions.
- When the pasta is close to being ready, add oil to a small pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook it until fragrant.
- Stir in the tuna, lemon juice, and parsley. Let it heat through.
- Once the pasta is done, add some of the pasta water (a couple tablespoons) to the sauce and then drain the pasta and toss with the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed. Optional: Serve pasta with freshly grated parmesan cheese and lemon zest.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: Feel free to substitute olive oil with vegetable oil to better taste the lemon and garlic flavor. Recipe modified from saltandlavender.com.