You can use zucchini or summer squash to make this sweet treat. Eat it warmed up for breakfast or as a healthy dessert while getting in a serving of vegetables – yum! Enjoy as a loaf or muffins.
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups whole-wheat flour optional, you can use all-purpose
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cinnamon set aside
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 medium zucchini (or summer squash) coarsely shredded (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ canola or olive oil
- ½ cup water
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- ⅓ cup raisins or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a loaf pan or muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ½ tablespoon cinnamon, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, sugar, shredded zucchini, oil, water, and vanilla. Add zucchini mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). If desired, fold in nuts, raisins and/or chocolate chips. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon of cinnamon over the top of the loaf
- Bake 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and eat.