Urgent Appeal for Afghan guests in Fort McCoy
Hunger Task Force is partnering with the Milwaukee Muslim Women’s Coalition (MMWC) to assist Afghan refugees
MMWC reached out to Hunger Task Force with an urgent request to act as a drop off site for donations of clothing, food and other items to assist Afghan refugees arriving at Fort McCoy. Although there will only be up to 500 Afghan guests (refugees) eventually resettled in Wisconsin there are thousands that are being processed in Fort McCoy. Due to the bombing at the airport in Kabul, the guests were only allowed to travel with the clothes on their backs. Many of the guests are women, girls, and young children.
Donations are being collected at Hunger Task Force (201 S. Hawley Ct. | Milwaukee, WI 53214) during the hours of 8:30 – 5:00 p.m. (Monday – Friday). Along with clothing and other items, culturally appropriate nonperishable food items are requested to stock local emergency food pantries through Hunger Task Force’s network.
Donate Clothing and Other Items:
Please note that ONLY BRAND NEW ITEMS, preferably in original packaging, will be allowed on the base per the instructions of the state refugee coordinator.
- Women’s traditional cultural clothing
- Men’s traditional cultural clothing
- Underwear (Men, women, children)
- Undershirt (Men, women, children)
- Prayer Rugs
- Baby clothing (particularly onesies and blankets)
Donate Culturally Appropriate Food:
- Dried Beans
- Canned chicken or Halal products (no pork or gelatin)
- Dried fruits – raisins, dates, plums
- Canned carrots, tomatoes and peas