Hunger Task Force

Ending Hunger is Our Mission


Welcome to Hunger Task Force’s FoodShare Information page.

FoodShare is a nutrition assistance program that helps people buy healthy foods. Eligibility is determined based upon your income and household size. Household and medical expenses may also be taken into account. Remember: you can own a home and a vehicle and still be eligible to receive FoodShare.*

If you would rather speak to a Hunger Task Force FoodShare Outreach team member over the phone, please call us at 414-897-0460. To speak directly with a state worker about your case, call 1.888.947.6583.

The best way to find out if you qualify for FoodShare is to apply.

*Most FoodShare applicants and members are categorically eligible for FoodShare, meaning liquid assets are not a factor in eligibility. However, if someone is over 200% of the Federal Poverty Level, they will need to verify assets.


Click one of the headings below to learn more about how you and your family can use FoodShare.



How can I apply?

By Phone: 1.888.947.6583

Online: Click here to apply online.

In Person:

Robles Self Service Center
723 W. Historic Mitchell St.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Other languages: Spanish, Hmong, Thai and Lao

Marcia P. Coggs Center
1220 W. Vliet St.
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

International Learning Center
639 N. 25th St.
Monday – Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Other languages: Burmese


Paper Application: Print your own paper application here.


To access the Wisconsin Department of Health Services website, click here.


Get Help with FoodShare Benefits

How and where do you use FoodShare?
• If you qualify for FoodShare, you will receive a Quest Card. The Quest Card is a debit card. To make purchases, simply swipe the card at checkout.
• FoodShare can be used at grocery stores displaying a Quest sign, and at select farmers markets.
• If you don’t use all of your FoodShare benefits, they will stay on your card and will be carried over from month to month. If your Quest Card is not used for 365 days, all benefits will be removed.
• With FoodShare, you CAN purchase:QUEST Card
     *Breads and cereals
     *Fruits and vegetables
     *Meat, fish and poultry
     *Dairy products
     *Seeds and food-producing plants
• You CANNOT purchase:
     *Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco,
     *Non-food items
     *Pet foods
     *Paper products
     *Household supplies
     *Hot food or ready-to-eat food


Locations to get help:
Click here to view a FoodShare Outreach Locations flyer


Understanding Work Requirements

If you are between the ages of 18 and 49 with no children in your household and no documented disability, your FoodShare has time limits. If you have used up your three (3) months of time-limited benefits, you still might qualify for FoodShare after submitting verification that you are working or have an exemption from the work requirements.

Click on the section below that applies to you to see what you may submit for an exemption.


I am working, volunteering, self-employed or enrolled in a work program.

You may submit one of these documents to verify that you have worked/volunteered a total of 80 hours or more during the past 30 days:

I am physically or mentally unable to work or applying for or receiving disability.

I am the primary caregiver for a child under age 6.

You may submit a letter from the child’s parent or guardian.

I am the primary caregiver for someone who cannot care for him/herself.

You may submit a letter from that person or his/her guardian.

I am pregnant.

You may submit a medical statement with your due date.

I am in a two-year college program at least half-time or I am a high school student.

If you are in a two-year college program or a high school student, you may submit your class schedule or other proof of registration for an exemption.

If you are in a four-year college program, please call 414.777.0483 and ask to speak with a Hunger Task Force FoodShare Outreach team member.

I am in an alcohol or other drug treatment program.

You may submit a letter from your program or sponsor.

I am applying for or receiving unemployment insurance.

You do not need to submit proof. Call the state at 1.888.947.6583 to report unemployment.

I am homeless or living remporarily with someone else because I do not have a permanent residence.

Call the state at 1.888.947.6583 to explain your circumstances. Every situation is different and will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

None of these apply to me.

If you do not have any of the exemptions listed above, your FoodShare has time limits. You will only receive benefits for 3 months out of every 3 years. If you are still receiving benefits, you can prevent your benefits from ending by enrolling in the FoodShare Employment and Training (FSET) Program.

Call the state at 1.888.947.6583 to request a referral to FSET. If you have already lost your benefits, you must enroll in a work or training program at least half time, or meet one of the exemptions listed above.