Apple PB Cake
- 1 cup yellow split peas, puréed ½ cup dry
- ½ cup peanut butter crunchy or creamy
- ½ cup honey
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup dry-roasted peanuts chopped
- ½ cup raisins or other dried fruit
- 1 cup apple peeled and chopped
- Prepare split pea purée: Add 2½ cups water to split peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat ,cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir frequently. Cool slightly and do not drain. In small batches, mash or pureè the split peas using a blender, food processor, potato masher or fork. Purée should be the consistency of canned pumpkin. Add water to thin if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat purée, peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar until blended. Beat in eggs and egg white. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir together cinnamon, baking soda, salt and flours.
- Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture along with peanuts, raisins and apple. Mix well.
- Turn into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake until a knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cake cool before cutting into squares.