Vegetable Egg Bake
This basic recipe is flexible enough to substitute any of your favorite vegetables or seasonings. Serve it with whole wheat toast and a side of fruit for a meal that covers all five MyPlate food groups!
- 12 eggs
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2-3 large potatoes small dice (or substitute frozen hash browns)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach chopped
- ½ bell pepper chopped (red, green or orange)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese divided
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the diced potatoes in a layer in the bottom of the pan. Layer the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and spinach (or vegetables of your choice!).
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix in ¾ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the vegetables. Bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Bake for an additional 20 minutes. Use a knife to check to make sure eggs are cooked through. Serve warm and enjoy!